Well, here we are. This has been a long time coming. I am currently (finally) studying/training for my my Private Pilot Certificate. This, as far as finances and convenience go, the worst time in my life to do this. I live in Brooklyn (the NYC area probably has the most expensive everything in the country, including flying lessons), and I have to take a train an hour each way out to Long Island to get to the nearest flight school.
But I just can’t not do it anymore.
This has been a dream for almost all of my 33 years. Since childhood I have done everything I can to get my hands on anything aviation-related:
- Building models with my dad to hang from my bedroom ceiling
- Attending every airshow within 300 miles
- Playing hours upon hours of flight simulators, from Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0 (remember these incredible engine sound effects?) all the way to the current version of X-Plane
- Reading books and dozens of blogs
- Bumming a ride or two at local airports
- Awkwardly camping out at a local airport during a fly-in where I didn’t know anyone
- More recently, watching hours upon hours of YouTube videos
Life has gotten in the way for too long. This has been second or third on the priority list for too long. If I don’t do it now, I’m afraid I never will. So I started studying the material for the written test a few months ago. As soon as Daylight Savings Time started (allowing me daylight to also fly on weekdays after work), I made a reservation for an intro flight and headed out to KFRG (Republic Airport) in Farmingdale on the Long Island Railroad.
My plan is to fly at least 2 to 3 times a week. I’ll be trying to make reservations for 3+ times a week, with the assumption that weather or other conflicts will get in the way sometimes. I’ll be chronicling my adventures here in write-ups, along with links to any videos I make and upload to YouTube. I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about anything in my life (except my upcoming wedding, of course). It’s going to be a crazy ride, hope you can join me.